10 Best Essential Oils For Hair Growth That May Surprise You
People think of using essential oils for hair growth only when they begin to lose hair, and it’s not just restricted to men but also women. Many think oil makes them look out of place outside the home, and this has led to even women losing hair at some stage in their lives.
Focus has always been on creating products that to some extent prevent hair loss. Essential oils, on the other hand, have been used for generations to prevent hair loss effectively. In fact, ladies of yesteryears proudly displayed long lustrous hair nourished by natural ingredients found all across the globe.
So Many Reasons For Hair Loss
Hair growth follows a definite cycle which includes the transitional, resting, and growth phases. Hair loss can also occur due to other reasons
Natural hair loss takes place in most people. On an average, around 40 to 120 strands are lost during the growth phase.
Abnormal hair loss dents confidence.
- Hereditary hormonal changes are major reasons why hair follicles begin to shrink, and family members begin to look alike after a certain age. In effect, the growth cycle shortens following a definite pattern. Known as Androgenetic Alopecia or more commonly male pattern baldness, men are commonly known to be affected by the genetic pattern.
- Sudden illnesses or medical disorders can also lead to hair loss. For example, reaction to prescribed medication over the short as well as long term can adversely affect hair growth.
- Poor nutritional habits can also affect the way hair follicles are nourished.
- Stress is another medical condition known to affect hair loss.
- Improper methods of healthcare including trying out different untested techniques can cause hair problems.
Why Essential Oils Work For Hair Growth
- One of the main reasons why essential oils are used for hair growth is it’s a natural stimulant that can be combined in many ways depending on availability as well as geographical conditions.
- People have developed ingenious ways to extract oil and use it as affordable treatment for hair loss.
- Another important factor to consider is essential oil can be used to massage the scalp relieving people from medical disorders like stress. In fact, oils are blended in different proportions to synergize overall effects.
- Antifungal and antibacterial properties of essential ingredients such as vetiver and neroli supplement the growing phase with protective elements.
- Essential oils can improve blood circulation, control dandruff, and strengthen hair. If some are used as popular moisturizers, others can be used to condition the scalp for proper hair growth.
10 Essential Oils That Can Work Wonders On The Hair And Scalp
There are so many essential oils, you sometimes wonder which is the right one for you. Here is a great article on how to go about choosing the right essential oil based on your personal needs.
1. Chamomile – It is one of the best essential oils for hair growth in people with normal hair.
- Shiny and glowing hair can be expected, as the essential oil conditions the hair.
- The anti-inflammatory property produces a cooling effect nourishing the follicles and preventing cellular damage.
- The yellow infusion extracted as essential oil can be liberally added to the scalp generating an apple fragrance and giving the hair a light shade.
2. Rosemary – The powerful oil has been used over the years to improve mental and physical health. Its positive effects on the scalp and hair have created an entire industry dedicated to using the powerful dandruff remedy to stimulate hair growth.
- It has antifungal properties that can be effectively used as treatment for dandruff. Pure oil essence is gently massaged into the scalp or used with a shampoo in case excessive flaking is observed.
- The essential oil acts as a stimulant for regrowth. In a University of Maryland Medical Center study, a group of 84 people suffering from alopecia areata were given rosemary oil along with other essential oils for hair growth like thyme, lavender, and cedarwood to apply on to the scalp for a period of several months. Though results were inconclusive in terms of identifying effectiveness, the volunteer group experienced regrowth of hair.
3. Shea Nut Oil – It is extracted with the cold-press process and gives off a soft golden color.
- An excellent hair moisturizer, the oil is also capable of healing wounds.
- High oleic-acid content benefits the scalp by exacerbating dandruff. The only precaution it must be used in the right proportion to prevent dandruff and promote hair growth over a lengthy period of time.
4. Citronella – Extracted from a type of lemon grass called Cymbopogon Nardus, the essential oil is usually sprayed and used with shampoos.
- Oiliness is controlled effectively when a jet of citronella is sprayed on to the scalp. Any sign of greasiness or excessive moisture is removed.
- Hair can be detangled when it is mixed with a shampoo making them look full and nourished.
5. Clary Sage – It works with any hair type. Found in Central Asia, Northern Africa, and the northern Mediterranean regions, the medicinal herb is used to extract oil with many benefits.
- Sebum production is limited. People experiencing dandruff will find definite relief.
- With the help of its regenerating properties, hair growth is normalized.
6. Cajeput Oil- The anti-parasite property is very effective in killing fleas and lice.
Add a few drops to shampoo and use it as a hair wash. An added benefit is the strong property to prevent infections and cold.
7. Cedarwood Essential Oil – The soothing effects of cedarwood on hair is well known, and the fact that it is available in plenty across North America with an easy extraction process makes it a popular essential oil.
The oil stimulates the scalp to promote hair growth.
8. Basil Oil – People use the oil when they begin losing hair or if it starts thinning out. The phenomenon of baldness can be controlled with regular use of basil oil.
- Blood circulation improves with the application thereby promoting hair growth.
- It acts like a seal around hair follicles stimulating hair growth and preventing thinning of follicles.
9. Patchouli – It is found mostly in Southeast Asia and in some parts of South America. Violet-marked flowers as well as its fragrant leaves are used to extract the oil.
The yellowish-brown liquid can solve hair problems like oily scalp and dandruff.
10. Camphor Oil – It is one of the lesser known essential oils for hair growth.
- Massage the hair and scalp with the oil regularly for maximum hair-growth benefits.
- It is also useful to fight hair loss.
5 Essential Oils For Fast Hair Growth
People often don’t have the patience to wait for expected hair growth with any solution. However, few know essential oils can stimulate hair growth quickly.
- Rosemary Oil – It is a strong stimulator that initiates hair growth quickly. What it does is prevent early greying. In other words, the strong essential oil nourishes the scalp. People with black hair can dip a few Rosemary leaves in water and use it liberally over their hair at bathing time. The hair begins to look more vibrant and healthy within the shortest possible time.
- Bergamot Oil – To improve quality of hair, the oil is applied directly for best results. It effectively stops hair loss and conditioning problems connected with badly-nourished hair. The net result is improved hair growth.
- Almond Oil – Apply the excellent moisturizer to dry hair daily. It can be massaged into the scalp to stimulate oil-producing glands. Healthy hair growth is experienced without split ends. Lifeless hair is nourished producing luster more quickly.
- Lemon Oil – It works wonderfully well on dry hair and restores lustrous locks. The antifungal quality removes all problems related to the scalp including lice and dandruff. All secreting glands are stimulated resulting in secretion of more oil and shinier hair at a faster pace.
- Lavender Oil – Scalp infections are removed with the help of its antibacterial property. The hair regains volume with removal of dandruff. Quick hair growth is noticeable within a short period of time.
Did You Know Essential Oils For Hair Regrowth Works?
Carrot Root Oil – Extracted oil is a wonderful lubricant that acts as a scalp moisturizer and is also capable of healing the skin with its antibacterial properties leading to the enhanced regrowth phase.
- The colored oil softens and lubricates the outermost layer or stratum corneum thereby helping the skin to remain elastic and moisturizing the next layer, namely the epidermis.
- Hair roots are strengthened with improved blood circulation.
- Stimulation of hair growth and a protective layer help prevent damage from environmental conditions like pollution and excessive sunlight.
Pomegranate Seed Oil – Benefits offered and for different hair types just cannot be ignored.
- Dead and flaky skin on the outer layer tends to block normal hair growth. Pomegranate seed oil removes hair follicle clogging and debris to stimulate regrowth of hair.
- The hair is protected from environmental pollution and is revitalized to stimulate regrowth.
- Blood circulation improves hair growth.
Clary Sage – It also works to stimulate hair regrowth by removing all signs of dandruff. Regeneration is initiated with normal hair growth pattern.
Myrtle – Sebum produced in excess quantities may prevent follicle nourishment resulting in clogging of pores.
The essential oil acts as an anti-septic curing any signs of infection or dandruff and thereby stimulates regrowth of hair with its regenerating property.
Ylang Ylang – It generates a cooling effect that helps remove all signs of stress.
It prevents split ends by working on oil secreted by oil glands. Hair loss reduces, and regrowth is initiated.
4 Top Essential Oils For Thick Hair
Peppermint Oil – The essential oil has tremendous antibacterial properties that immediately produce a tingling sensation when applied on the scalp.
Blood circulation improves, and more importantly it produces a continuous boost to rejuvenate hair, especially noticed during a regular haircare routine.
Horsetail Plant Oil – The powerful dandruff remover also cures split ends and is essentially mixed with other oils to boost thick hair growth.
It improves blood cell creation and horsetail plant oil combines with other essential oils to form a rare growth supplement. Several innovative manufacturers have used the extract to create growth supplements known to nourish hair follicles.
Castor Oil – One of the most common essential oils for hair growth, it has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
Pores are cleared of debris, and improved circulation ensures hair growth is thick.
Coconut Oil – People have succeeded in getting the best out of coconut oil for a very long time.
Rich in nutrients like vitamin K, Vitamin E, and Iron, the extract in organic or extra-virgin form has antibacterial and antifungal properties removing all forms of dandruff and other infections. Hair begins to grow thick and lustrous.
How To Mix Essential Oils for Hair Growth
Very often, essential oils are mixed to prevent hair loss due to breakage and thinning. Specialized commercial products purchased from the market may turn out to be costly propositions. You can expect similar results by mixing essential oils and herbs to stimulate hair growth and create perfect treatments for hair and scalp-related problems.
Essential Oil With Vinegar Rinse – Vinegar is basically acidic, but the pleasant tingling sensation actually helps in upsetting the routine alkaline base of several haircare products available in the market. It must be understood hair has pH values ranging from 3.5 acidic to 5.5 neutral. The idea of using vinegar with your favorite essential oil is to produce optimum pH value that effectively seals cuticles and helps hair growth. Here is one way how it can be used.
- Mix one portion of apple cider vinegar in two portions of water. You could also use wine-based vinegar or white vinegar depending on the type of hair. For example, for dry hair it’s best to use wine-based vinegar. People prefer apple cider vinegar, as it gives out very little odor.
- Essential oil is added to reduce odor even further.
- It can be used every day after shampooing as the final rinse for maximum effects.
Burdock Root Oil – The purple-colored flower has all essential nutrients to revitalize and stimulate hair growth. It contains nutrients including calcium, iron, and other elements known to nourish the hair. The recipe can be easily created at home to remove problems associated with the scalp including dandruff and inflammation due to infection.
- The initial mixture consists of several essential oils including 1 teaspoon of lavender oil, 1 teaspoon of basil, and 1 teaspoon of rosemary oil. One teaspoon of burdock oil and 1 teaspoon of aloe vera gel are then mixed with the initial preparation.
- Allow it to settle and massage it gently into the scalp.
- Leave it on for at least two hours.
- Shampoo the hair to remove residue, and style it in any appropriate manner.
Coconut Oil With Avacado – Benefits of coconut oil are known for generations, but when it is used daily with avocado, normal coconut oil turns into a hair treatment that can effectively stop dandruff and splitting. Dry hair turns into lustrous hair with volume. The mixture is also capable of protecting hair from direct sunlight.
- Coconut oil must be slightly warm when massaged into the scalp. The fingertips must feel oil spread evenly over the scalp.
- Mash up an avocado in the blender until you get an even paste.
- Apply the paste to the hair making sure it covers only the tips.
- Leave it on for around 15 minutes and then rinse it off with normal-temperature water.
- Shampoo your hair to remove any traces of avocado and coconut oil.
Coconut Oil With Lemon Juice – The mixture is a wonderful recipe for removing dandruff. Hair changes color when exposed to sunlight immediately after using the mixture.
- Use warm coconut oil. Take the required mixture and heat it over a burner for a few seconds.
- Two parts of coconut oil are mixed with one part of lemon juice.
- Massage it into the scalp evenly and leave it on for at least four hours. Better results are achieved if it is left on overnight.
Essential Oils With Vitamin E Oil – The useful recipe is a combination of several essential oils including jojoba, rosemary, and peppermint.
- A quarter cup of jojoba oil is added to a quarter cup of vitamin E oil.
- Add 15 drops of rosemary and peppermint essential oils to the initial mixture.
- Stir the mixture well or pour it into a bottle and shake it vigorously.
- Massage it lightly over the scalp until the mixture has spread.
- It must be kept overnight to nourish the scalp.
- Open vitamin E capsules can also be used over the mixture for added effect.
A Mixture Of Just Essential Oils – Cedar, thyme, jojoba, rosemary, and grapeseed are combined to form a mixture to promote hair growth. The hair returns soft and strong. Mix it in the right proportion, and you have a potent recipe for hair growth.
- Take two drops of cedar and thyme each and mix it with a tablespoon of jojoba oil, three drops of rosemary, and 1 ounce of grapeseed.
- Store the mixture in an airtight container.
- Remove small portions of the mixture and massage it into your scalp.
- It must be done at night and left evenly spread over the scalp until the next morning.
- Remove residue with room-temperature water.
- Use shampoo to leave the hair lustrous and clean.
Lavender in Nettle Hair Tonic – One of the best recipes makes use of lavender essential oil. The mixture with nettle leaves prevents hair loss but also ensures hair growth is thick and lustrous. The recipe is important, and care must be taken to mix ingredients in the right proportion.
- Take a non-reactive pan containing an ounce of nettle leaves mixed with 2 cups each of white wine vinegar and water.
- Simmer it over the stove for a period of about two hours.
- Cool and strain the mixture.
- Add two drops of lavender oil into the mixture and store it in an airtight bottle container.
- Every time limited quantities are used, make sure you shake the bottle a few times to revitalize the mixture.
- Apply evenly on alternate days.
- Leave it overnight.
Are Essential Oils Safe For Hair?
Some essential oils for hair growth have powerful medicinal values, so the question arises if they can be safely used in all circumstances.
Precautions In Pregnancy – Women often opt for aromatherapy to find relief from pregnancy symptoms such as swollen ankles, backache, and nausea. Though scientific tests have not been conducted to establish exactly how essential oils in different proportions can affect the unborn baby, certain precautions must be taken. The ideal way to use it over the hair is to mix it with a base, so the oil acts superficially. For example, it can create a cooling effect to remove stress, but a strong potent extract should be avoided, as it’s likely to be inhaled.
- Essential oils must be changed regularly, so ill effects, if any, are limited to a very short period of time.
- If you’re using it for the very first time, just add a drop to a carrier of the vaporizer for a maximum period of around 12 minutes.
- Avoid using essential oils in any way during the initial phase of pregnancy.
Precautions With Children – Certain essential oils can be used with children and small quantities such as lemon, lavender, frankincense, orange, and chamomile. It’s best to test for allergies before liberally applying the essential oil onto the child’s scalp. Essential oils on the scalp are basically used to promote hair growth. Children don’t need a prescribed mixture for normal hair growth. It is often the adult that requires treatment, so essential oils to promote hair growth in children is not warranted.
Essential Oils Guide – The Right Choice To Stimulate Hair Growth
It is evident essential oils for hair growth are comparatively safe and can bring about desired results with regular use. The ideal way to go about it is to procure oils available in the local market and then use mixtures traditionally followed by families. Use an essential oil that offers maximum benefits. Check out a small sample before liberally using it over a long period of time. Take basic precautions, and you can avoid hair and scalp problems including greying, insufficient hair growth, and hair fall.